Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Baked Ziti

Yum, yummy yum.  :) 

Baked Ziti.  I made this recipe up years ago and I always play it by ear.  Or tongue.  Or what the heck ever.  :)  It depends on how many people you're feeding, what else you're serving with it, etc. 

If I'm serving 4 people, with garlic bread and salad, I use an 8x8 baking dish.  I pour the dry ziti into it to eyeball how much ziti I will need.  I never measure anything with this dish. 

Here's what you'll need:
1 lb italian sausage
1 jar marinara sauce (whatever your favorite is... I like Bertolli Olive Oil & Garlic)
1 bag shredded mozzarella cheese
1 small carton heavy cream
1 box ziti or penne or rigatoni

Preheat your oven to 350.
Cook the pasta according to directions, undercooking by about 2 minutes.  Drain and reserve.
Brown sausage.  Once nearly cooked through, add the whole jar of marinara.
Add heavy cream just until the sauce turns an orange-y color.  You don't want to over-do...just make the sauce creamy. 
Add the pasta to the meat/sauce.
Place a layer of pasta mixture into your baking dish. 
Top with a layer of cheese.
Repeat, until all the pasta mixture and cheese have been used up. 

Bake, covered, for 20 minutes.  Uncover, bake 10 more minutes.  Broil until golden brown and bubbly on top.  Serve with ceasar salad and garlic bread. 

I know this recipe is kind of unexact and crazy, but that's why I love it.  You really can't mess it up.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment