Sunday, December 19, 2010

stuffed peppers

  My thoughts on this one:  I thought this was a good recipe, but I tend to like things a little saltier and spicier.  Next time I'd do pepperjack instead of cheddar, and I'd grate it and mix it throughout.  I would also use taco seasoning to give the meat a spicier flavor.  If I were going for an italian style pepper, I think I'd use italian sausage and maybe a combination of cheeses.  But it's a good starting point. 
Stuffed Peppers

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 pkg. dry onion soup mix
1/2 c. water
6 asst. colored bell peppers
1 c. cooked white rice (or more if you like more rice)
  • 1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce
  • Cheddar Cheese


  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a skillet over medium heat, cook the beef with the onion soup mix and water until evenly browned.  Remove and discard the tops, seeds, and membranes of the bell peppers.  Parboil for 5 minutes.  Drain.  Arrange peppers in a baking dish with the hollowed sides facing upward. (Slice the bottoms of the peppers if necessary so that they will stand upright.)  In a bowl, mix the browned beef, cooked rice, 1 cup marinara sauce. Spoon an equal amount of the mixture into each hollowed pepper, leaving about 1/4" or so space at the top. Spoon the remaining sauce over the stuffed peppers.  Cut cheddar cheese into sticks and insert 4 sticks an equal distance around inside edge of filled peppers.  Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, until the peppers are tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment