Sunday, December 19, 2010

Chicken Stew with Biscuits

It was cold and snowy the other night, a perfect stew night, and Scott & I had the house to ourselves, so I made chicken stew with biscuits.  I'm still trying to master the perfect biscuit recipe, so until I do, I use storebought buttermilk biscuit dough,  This is my own stew recipe, super simple, super easy, and really delicious.  I use a rotisserie chicken when I'm in a hurry, if I have the time, I roast my own chicken, and use the carcass to make stock. 

Chicken Stew with Biscuits (serves 6)

1 tube refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
2 stalks celery, diced
2 peeled carrots, diced
1 medium onion, diced
4 T extra virgin olive oil
3 T flour
4 C chicken stock
1 C milk or cream
salt and pepper, to taste
1 large rotisserie chicken, pulled from the bones and diced
parsley, for garnish

saute the celery, carrots, and onion in the olive oil until they begin to turn translucent and tender.  season with salt and pepper. 
add flour, cook for a few minutes to cook off the flour taste.
add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
add milk.
add chicken and allow stew to simmer. 

while stew is simmering, cook biscuits according to package directions.

If your stew needs to be thicker, you can make a slurry of cornstarch and broth to add to it, or you can mash up some butter in flour and add to the stew-  an old trick from culinary school.  :) 

when biscuits are just about done, taste stew for seasoning and re-season if needed.  Split biscuit into bowl and ladle stew over biscuits. Garnish with parsley.  :)  yay!  now devour!

No comments:

Post a Comment